Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Decisions... decisions...

Decision-making is not my forte. Unfortunately, I find that most days in life require choices. Like what outfit to wear, or whether or not to stop at Starbucks on my lunch break. Sometimes they’re more important, like whether to watch LOST or American Idol. Believe it or not, as simple as these decisions sound, any one of them will cause a slight increase of my heart rate. It is not unusual for me to spend a good two minutes just trying to decide what I want from Chic-fil-a, and I practically have their menu memorized. So when it comes down to making major life-decisions, just put up your feet and stay awhile cause we ain’t goin’ no where fast.

So…. Should I go to Walmart to get the remaining items on my “To Purchase” list, or spend time with my friends one last time before leaving. Should I rehearse my monologues or pack my room? All of them important, but which takes precedence? Now the perfectionistic, quasi-OCD person that I am is already starting to stress out over not knowing what to do first. But thankfully the voice of reason (a far too distant friend) is gently reminding me that somehow everything that needs to get done, will. My life (particularly that in higher education) has taught me that while there may not be enough time in a day to get everything done, there is time enough. So the bigger question comes down to which is most important ultimately? My dad has always encouraged me to look at what he calls the “bigger picture.” He suggests that when making a decision, the longer down the road you can look, the better decision you will make. Ultimately, what will matter most in eternity?

Now unfortunately that philosophy doesn’t help much when deciding whether to put my underwear in my suitcase or in my storage drawers. Organization has never been my specialty, probably for the same reason that it’s hard for me to make quick decisions. But I do think that if God wants to be a part of every single aspect of our lives, or perhaps I should say if He wants us to acknowledge that He is a part of every single aspect of our lives, everything we do can have eternal significance. You may be tempted to think that a simple decision to go to Walmart or to go bowling with your friends has little eternal significance, and maybe you’d be right. But I guess the point is whether or not we involve God in the decision-making process. Does God care about which drawer I put my hair dryer in? I don’t know. But I do know that He knows the number of hairs on my head. So you tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment