Friday, June 18, 2010

Method to my Madness

In case you were curious, I’ve posted the daily schedule from a typical day in the life of a BTF Apprentice. This was our itinerary this past Tuesday. Daily activities vary from day to day, but it’s a good example of what we do.

8:00-9:00am – Suzuki Training
9:00-10:30am –Yoga
11:00-12:00pm –Great Beyond Rehearsal or Independent Scene Work (The Great Beyond is one of the shows apprentices could be cast in. At this time I would be working on my scene because I’m not in The Great Beyond.)
12:00-1:00pm –Lunch
1:00-4:00pm – Great Beyond Rehearsal or Scene Work with Zohar
5:15pm –Front of House and Parking Orientation
6:30-7:30pm –Dinner
7:35-8:35pm – Lecture: Fundamentals of Fundraising and Development

Because my rehearsals for Babes in Arms haven’t started yet, the majority of my afternoons lately have been available for scene work. It’s been a good challenge for me to approach my scenes apart from a specific acting method because it forces me to apply what I’ve been spending all my money on at grad school. Naturally, most of my scene work at Regent serves as way to apply specific principles in effort to learn a certain acting technique. This is the first time since I’ve started grad school that it has been completely up to me to determine my own approach. It serves as good training for my upcoming thesis role, as I will be required to explore and document my own personal process. You know, the “mastered” part of a Master in Fine Arts. No pressure, right?

Surprisingly, so far I have largely been using tenants from Sanford Meisner’s technique. I say surprising only because I had no intention of using a particular “method” for my work. I simply found myself thinking about “key facts and phrases,” exploring impulses, and really being conscious of listening to my scene partner (all principles taught by Meisner). I’ve also done a little bit of “free associative writing,” which should make Dr. Kirkland (one of my Meisner instructors) very happy. I will also say (I’m sure much to the relief of another one of my professors, Eric Harrell) that I also have been very conscious of principles from Practical Handbook for the Actor. In my Scene Study class this past year, I never fully understood the concept of “playing an action” or “going after an objective.” I don’t know why, but typically I find that it’s the semester AFTER my class ends that things really begin to sink in.

My scene partner here at BTF, Nick, has also had some Meisner training, which is helping our rehearsal process a lot. He is familiar with the same terminology we use at Regent such as “pinch and ouch” or “working off the Other.” He suggested using an activity for our scene, which is a classic Meisner exercise in exploring a scenario. We decided to fold laundry together during the scene, which adds a great new element for our characters (husband and wife) to deal with while discussing a difficult subject matter.

I like “mixing the soup” of techniques. A little of this. A little of that. It’s true what they say: whatever works. One thing I’ve definitely decided: I hate rehearsing a scene before I’ve memorized the text. It has become so clear to me that I am simply no good with a script in my hand. I knew that prior to this week, but for some reason it really hit home this time. It makes me want to be off-book for every rehearsal from now on. Not sure if that will actually happen, but it’s a great goal, huh?

If I’ve completely lost you in all the acting lingo, I apologize. I assure you that is not at all my intention. But for those of you who want a taste of my recent “de jour,” this is a good helping. If it’s not your favorite flavor, I understand. Sometimes I need a pallet cleanser myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment