Thursday, July 8, 2010

They call us babes in arms...

After day four of rehearsals for Babes in Arms, my aching legs and feet are thankful for a night off. It’s not even from the dancing, contrary to what you might think. Though I do get to tap in the show, so far the choreography hasn’t been that strenuous. My body aches this time have come from standing for hours on end, starting with Suzuki at 8am and then proceeding to blocking or dance rehearsals from 10-6pm. Monday and Tuesday was spent largely on music, which included learning and working the chorus numbers. Though I’m only in four songs, the music is catchy and really fun to sing. Many people don’t know that several hit songs such as “Where or When,” “I Wish I were in Love Again,” and “My Funny Valentine” come from this little tucked away musical by Rogers and Hart. A film version of the show features Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, but the storyline is almost completely different from the stage production. Only two numbers from the original show were included in the film.

The adaptation we are producing at BTF tells the story of a young group of apprentices struggling to keep a New England theatre alive. With ticket sales rapidly depleting, they secretly decide to perform a revue of their own in order to help make ends meet. Snotty stars and stubborn producers get in their way, but eventually the determined youngsters perform for one of Broadway’s biggest producers. Oh yeah… and there’s a love story in there, too. ;)

We apprentices at the Berkshire Theatre Festival feel a special affinity for the apprentices at the Surf and Sand Playhouse in Babes in Arms. In many ways, our stories are very similar. We work really hard in exchange for room and board, we rehearse and perform in a red barn, and we work at a summer theatre in New England. Kinda makes character background sketches a bit superfluous, don’t you think?

Actually I’m having a blast with my character, Libby. She’s a joy to explore with her childish lisp and vigor for life. My friend Nick (who plays Bob) and I decided that he’s my older brother, because I’m always following him around. We spend a large portion of our time at the top of show “painting” the set. I’m up on a big, tall ladder while he braces the bottom and holds my paint can. It’s from there that I deliver my Juliet soliloquy, lisping my way all the way through it.

Even though I’m small in stature, I usually don’t get the opportunity to play a little kid. My professors say it’s because I don’t come across “young” on stage. I guess that’s a good thing. I mean, I wouldn’t want to ALWAYS play the kid, but it’s nice to get the chance once in a while. And for some reason, Libby and I just click. So far, she’s a bundle of joy that I keep getting to unwrap and play with. And when you have 40 performances of a show to look forward to, liking your part is a huge blessing.

4 comments:

  1. Well done, dahling! I look forward to more posts. You are a delight to have around the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like your ankles on the Babes in Arms poster. Looking forward to seeing the show. Hangeth in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Countess, it's an honor to have you visit my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah it's so much fun to read your blog!! Sounds like so much work, but so much fun, and amazing experiences!! Keep up the amazing work!! You can do anything, and know that we're praying for you and you are sooo loved!!

    ReplyDelete