Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Season of Learning

As I sit here writing this entry I am finishing a piece of blueberry apple pie from the Main Street Café in downtown Stockbridge. I must say, it is quite a delight and very appropriate for July 4th weekend. Since I’m spending the rest of my night and Sunday morning on a changeover, I allowed myself the indulgence in hopes of strengthening my spirits. (A changeover involves striking (or taking down) the current set and setting up the next in its place.) Tonight is closing night for K2, so the mountain side is coming down so that we can put up Endgame’s set for their upcoming preview on Tuesday. I’ve been assigned to Sound Crew, which I’m hoping is less physically demanding than the Carpentry Crew. I’m also glad that I haven’t been assigned to the Electric Crew because they work all through the night. I suppose my turn will come eventually, but I’ll take the blessings while I can.

I don’t know that much about sound design, so I am looking forward to learning more about it. Sound seems to be a pretty complicated animal from my limited experience. It’s one of those things that no one notices when it’s right, but everyone complains about when it’s wrong. And from what I hear, it’s tough to get right. I’m not sure why, but maybe after working with some pros tonight I’ll have a better idea.

And speaking of pros, can I just say how incredible it is to be able to watch Jayne Atkinson and Richard Easton rehearse for BTF’s upcoming show of The Guardsman? As an apprentice, I’m allowed to sit in on rehearsals of shows as long as the stage manager and director approve. I was a little overwhelmed as I watched these legendary talents in process just a few feet in front of me. They grabbed their water bottles, scripts, and props just like everybody else. They even called for “line” every now and then. As I sat there watching I couldn’t even write a single note down. I just wanted to take the whole thing in. Nothing seemed important enough to write and yet everything was completely invaluable all at the same time. While they rehearsed a run of ACT I, and I just sat and watched like a little school girl.

The longer I’m here the more I realize what an incredible opportunity I have been given here. While it may really stink to have to stay up all night tearing down and setting up sets, the benefits far out weigh the drawbacks. (I’ll try to remember to tell myself that when I’m in the middle of strike tonight!) The seasoned professionals that come through this place, both actors and non-actors alike, have so much insight to offer, and I want to soak up as much as I can from them. Whether that means observing them in rehearsal, attending a talk-back after a show, or stealing a few brief moments with them at an opening night party, I am determined to learn from the best. Who knows, maybe one day it’ll be me giving the lessons. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Your mom sent me a link to your "bloggings" and amidst all of the "Theatre Banter" and "U.T." (Unidentified Terminology), I couldn't help but salivate all over my brand new American Eagle polo when I saw the words "Bluberry, Apple, and pie" all put together in one phrase to make Blueberry Apple pie! I nearly wept at the thought that something like this exists and I've never tasted it in almost 27 years of Blueberry Apple pie-less life. Anywho, it sounds delightful and I've decided to begin a quest to find it somewhere here in DC. Thanks for the inspiration. It sounds like you're having a blast and I'm very happy for and proud of you! And don't be so intimidated by sound stuff. Just remember, the deaf man in the audience is the one to please. If he is moved by your acting, how much more the ones who hear? God bless and maybe one day we can get the old gang together for a Luau or something. Peace!

    DJ Corkey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey DJ! So good to hear from you. I'd be glad to have a piece of blueberry apple pie with you anytime! The sound stuff went fine. I wrapped like 2 cords, and then they moved me to electrics. Ha! The lights were way more exciting anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete